Thursday 3 March 2011

Eeerm OK!

As I mentioned I have already discussed the prospects of me taking voluntary redundancy with my director.

I'm a bit amused that yesterday (Wednesday) the day after I had my first chat with my director she told me that HR are prepared to discuss the condition of me taking VR.

Well blow me down with a feather. I know I raised the issue and was wondering what the response would be. But I wasn't quite ready for them getting back to me quite so quickly.

I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

Some more background here. About two years ago my employer tried to make me redundant. Trouble was it was an atrociously hamfisted knee-jerk of an attempt. They told me one Friday I was 'at risk' and was give a date when I would go. The following Friday i was told 'Hurrah you've got your job back!'. (there's more to this story but this is the short version).

So once I had got over the shock and got myself off the anti-depressants (only one year) I haven't been feeling that secure in my job. These feelings of insecurity has shown itself in me getting twitchy if I think people are attempting to undermine my role. So I have had little confidence in managers telling me my job is safe and we are in for interesting and exciting times in the Market Research arena.

So I'm insecure and see 'attacks' against my role in what are probably, in most cases, innocent day to day activities in a large organization.

But nevertheless various managers know about my insecurity (I have told them this) and they have gone out of their way to reassure me that my job was safe and it would be more important and involved etc.

So that's why I'm a bit amused at what I see to be a quick response. (perhaps they really were gonna get rid of me thus proving my hypothesis) This is probably some residual cynicism leaking out. And I really did think it would take longer.

This isn't a complaint.

I guess I might have to redraw my mental time line.

No comments:

Post a Comment